What is it about a deployment that can teach you so much about yourself? Perhaps it is the fact that you are challenged to do things you normally would shy away from. Number one, wait in a 45 minute line at the post office....sounds enticing, doesn't it? The average person would come back when the line was short. However, an Army wife chooses to wait because her husband may be waiting 45 days just to grasp a taste of home and be reminded that someone loves him.
A few weeks ago I broke down with silent tears in the line at the post office. I have such a love hate relationship with post offices. I walk in, and if the line is long I huff and I puff and I stare at the workers and roll my eyes thinking that will somehow hurry them along. WRONG! That makes them move even slower, so don't try it. The end result of going to the post office is good. My husband will soon receive a box of items to help him survive in a war zone. Sometimes making it through the line is a battle in itself. I never imagined when I met my husband, our relationship would force me to spend so much precious time in a post office. Post offices, like deployments can be bitter sweet.
On this particular day, I walked in to my favorite place to find at least a 45 minute wait. I couldn't take one more frustration. I could not take one more episode of pushing the limit of my patience beyond where it desired to go. I had not spoken to my husband in a while and it was starting to tug at my heart. My beautiful two year old had more than likely done a few things earlier that day to give me a run for my money. The lady behind me just barely made it through the line that day without hearing my life story. More than likely, my moment of truth presented itself because I had finally stopped. I was forced to just stand there and do nothing but wait. With such a busy schedule and doing my best to fill each day up so that it passes quickly and I am one day closer to seeing my husband, I rarely pause. Much like my life these days, at the post office, I was waiting for something. I had to display patience, but wow, was it tough. I fought back the tears and I made it through. Small victories show me I can make it through this. If I can wait in that post office line, well, then I can wait a year before I see my husband. If I can run for an hour without a rest, then I can run this race to the finish as well. Seek the small victories in your daily life and remind yourself that this too, you will overcome!
To God be the Glory.
No comments:
Post a Comment